List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: IOSlaves copy()
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-30 20:03:32

On Monday 30 April 2001 05:35, Nicolas Justin wrote:
> En réponse à aleXXX <alexander.neundorf@rz.tu-ilmenau.de>:
> > > When the user make a copy of a file, I just want to make a link to
> >
> > this
> >
> > > file.
> >
> > There is also a link() I think.
> > Btw. what kind of ioslave is it that it supports links ?
>
> You will think that it is a crazy idea...
> My slave is an interface to cdrecord. In Konqueror when you go to
> cdrecord:/ you have a virtual directory named "File list" where the user
> drop his/her files. You will say that I can copy all de datas in a temp dir
> and make the ISO with mkisofs. But I don't want an ISO temp file, I make a
> temp dir and create link to the user files and then makde the ISO with
> mkisofs which will be piping to cdrecord.
> In fact it's a just for the fun project, like audiocd ;-)

It should be possible to pass some extra data to the slave doing the put to
inform him about the srcUrl. E.g. setting the "copyFrom" metadata if the
srcUrl is a file or something. Then the slave might be able to decide that he
wants to read the file itself. We just need a way to signal this back to the
job so that the job doesn't start a slave for the get as well in this case.

Hm.. actually we should make it possible to have such an optimisation for
"get" as well. Then downloads can be done by a single slave. To make that
work I guess we need to use KProtocolInfo to  indicate that the slave can do
copies to file: We can also use that for put.

E.g. two capabilities for slaves: "CopyFromFile" and "CopyToFile". If they
are set, the copy job will use the copy command to copy file from a local
file to the protocol, cq. use the copy command to copy files from the
protocol to a local file. This sounds like a 2 minute hack. I like it :-)

*click*click*

Hm... we need some rearrangements here.... *wait*

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org | SuSE Labs KDE Developer | bastian@suse.com