List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: too much memory for kmail
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-04-30 19:47:39

On Monday 30 April 2001 12:13 pm, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Melchior FRANZ
>
> > * Rik Hemsley -- Monday 30 April 2001 07:37:
> > > grep VmData /proc/pid-of-kmail/status
> > >
> > > I think you'll find it's not taking 17Mb of RAM.
> >
> > Ohh yes ...
> >
> >   $ grep VmData /proc/`/sbin/pidof kmail`/status
> >   VmData:    21860 kB
> >
> > m.   :-(
>
> Yes, I think if you have a large amount of mail then kmail takes a lot
> of memory, due to holding the index for each mailbox in memory. Apologies
> to the kmail people if I got that wrong.
>
> Getting memory usage for something like kmail down to a reasonable value
> is non-trivial. One of the main problems is that QListView needs all
> the items from a mailbox index to be inserted. All those Unicode strings
> take a huge amount of memory. We really need a widget that works with
> more of a Document-View style, where new data from the index (Document)
> is only requested as the QListView (View) is scrolled.

I remember this from OS/2 containers. You could specify a number to retrieve
like 200 for instance, but when you scrolled it would retrieve more. Perhaps
reading from large data structures it would be possible to set a "window" of
rows to keep in memory and slide the window with a scroll?

--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team