List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KProf 1.2 release (profiling tool)
From:       John Levon <moz () compsoc ! man ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-04-30 15:32:33

On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Werner Trobin wrote:

> Dirk Mueller wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Werner Trobin wrote:
> >
> > > Did you read the libc article in the recent c't? Andreas Jaeger
> > > wrote about some nifty features like MALLOC_CHECK_ and LD_PROFILE.
> > > I couldn't get either of them working. Especially LD_PROFILE would
> > > be very handy, but the gmon.out I get is 550 bytes large and useless
> > > (glibc 2.1.2 here).
> >
> > Read the article again ;-)
> >
> > the LD_PROFILE output is written to /var/tmp IIRC and you have to use sprof
> > for it (instead of gprof).
>
> Well, I also set LD_PROFILE_OUTPUT to my ~ and I used sprof. Still,
> didn't work.

If you'll excuse the self-promotion, and you are running linux 2.4 on an x86 box,
you might like to try oprofile, which makes profiling shared libraries a *cinch*.

The only thing you need to do out of the ordinary is to compile with -g (--enable-debug
I suppose) and enable the APIC code in the kernel compile.

Read more at

http://oprofile.sourceforge.net/

thanks
john