List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Web-"Smiley"
From:       David Nusinow <krmt1984 () ucla ! edu>
Date:       2001-04-30 7:30:00

On 29 Apr 2001 23:58:37 -0700, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Sunday 29 April 2001 11:39 pm, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> > I just read that the Mac OS X browser iCab can draw a small simley that
> > looks happy when a page without errors is shown. If the page has errors,
> > the smiley looks unhappy, and the "unhappyness" is proportional to the
> > number of errors in the page.
> > What do you think about such a thing in the khtml part?
>
> <joke>I think that the less we deal with emoticons, the better.  Maybe we
> should find a way to convey emotion on the internet?  Expand Unicode
> perhaps?</joke>
>
> Seriously, sounds like a good idea, assuming that it's not going to be too
> "loud," and maybe it shouldn't be a smiley but an e.g., "4 errors found" kind
> of deal?

I like the idea a lot. It'd help a lot in development for just about
everyone. If there's an error in the parser, the khtml developers could
find out more easily, and web developers would also be able to find if
their pages are generating errors. I agree on the unobtrusive part
though, otherwise it's just an exercise in pain :-)

- David Nusinow
   krmt1984@ucla.edu