List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KProf 1.2 release (profiling tool)
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-30 4:53:09

Michael Matz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2001, Daniel Molkentin wrote:
> >
> > What exactly does --enable-static do here? I mean you can't build static
> > kdelibs, can you?
>
> Of course you can, but modules will be built static too, and those can't
> be dynamically loaded.  This makes much KDE-stuff non-working (styles,
> KLM, plugins ...), that's why we usually say, that KDE depends on being
> able to build shared libs, but as those on linux can't be profiled
> properly, --enable-static is a mean to ease debugging/profiling.  If you
> want profiling, also use --disable-shared, otherwise shared and static
> libs are built, and libtool uses the shared ones, unless a -static flag is
> given for linking executables, which is not done by default.

Hi Michael!

Did you read the libc article in the recent c't? Andreas Jaeger
wrote about some nifty features like MALLOC_CHECK_ and LD_PROFILE.
I couldn't get either of them working. Especially LD_PROFILE would
be very handy, but the gmon.out I get is 550 bytes large and useless
(glibc 2.1.2 here).

Any hints? :)

--
Werner Trobin - trobin@kde.org