List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Jumping i18n icons.
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-04-28 12:06:23

On Wednesday 25 April 2001 18:54, Mattias Dahlberg wrote:
> Stephan Kulow wrote:
>
> > > What is the reason why i18n-aware icons jump when you change the locale?
> >
> > What do you mean with jump?
>
> Try it yourself. The icon leaves its original position and moves somewhere else.

Yes, that's because icon positions are mapped by names, so if the name
changes the icon doesn't have a well-known position anymore.

Well, this whole desktop icon thing sucks (and I'm greatly responsible
for that). I have changed my mind, and I think we should display
the Name field of .desktop and .directory files - which would fix this
problem and many others (dropping stuff from kicker/K menu, allowing
distributors to add more localized icons/links, etc.). I was wrong.
Dunno when I'll have the time to change this, but if anyone feels like
it, please go ahead.