List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: library version numbers
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ob6 () inf ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2001-04-20 8:09:02

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 11:33:29PM -0300, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Thursday 19 April 2001 19:43, David Faure wrote:
> > > ldconfig not run, ld.so bug, hell, there's always a bug somewhere
>
> Running ldconfig -- or, more precisely, libtool --finish -- should be
> part of the post-installation process. For instance, it should be run
> from post-install scripts inside RPM packages for Linux distributions
> using RPM.

in fact, "make install" _does_ run ldconfig.
the post-install scripts of debian packages do as well.
i don't know about other distros, but i consider them broken, if their
packages don't do this.
so _this_ is no argument for keeping old version numbers.

best regards

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.