List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: An ECMAScript question
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2001-04-20 4:03:56

> The arguments object is something special. It's a property of the
> "activation object" which itself should be invisible to the user.
I know. ECMA-262, paragraph 10.1.6, page 38. There is stated that
ECMAScript program can access members of the activation object, like
the arguments property, not the object itself, however, it's not
done in this case.
> Seems
> like this special case doesn't work correctly when the arguments object
> is addressed via the function object. But I'm also not sure if
> JS_test.arguments is still legal in the 3rd edition of the ECMAScript
> standard.
I didn't find any information about addressing arguments object by
explicitly used function object. It is not discussed in the standard.
However, it's not declared as illegal as well.
> >   How to solve this problem ?
>
> Don't prefix arguments.length with JS_test. That works fine. But I'll
> look into this issue and solve it either way.
Yes, when I deleted all references to <func> from the <func>.arguments
thing, the real page started to work. However, I know at least 3 sites
which contain this and they aren't under my control. I'm afraid that their
webmasters will not change their code on my request, especially when it works
from NN as well as from MSIE :-(
  So, solving this on our side to make it work again will be highly
appreciated!

> Harri
                      With many regards, Pavel Troller