List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: trigraphs?
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-19 3:31:30

Hi,

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Michael Brade wrote:

> Thanks to all of you who replied that fast! I found the problem and in fact,
> it is no problem, I just added a comment that contained "(merge??)". Seems
> that this one was the trigraph :-)) Strange however, that gcc looks into
> comments...

Ohh, there is reason for everything.  E.g.
// Comment??/
or not

is one line of comment, and a valid C file-fragment.  As is the following
small brain-damaging file which doesn't abort()
--- snip ---
??=   define L??/
 5
/*And this?.*??/
/int madness;
const char lies??(L] = "here";
int main(void)??<printf("??'???WTF?????/n");if (sizeof lies+1==L/??/
/+1
/+1
)??<abort();}/??/
*else
  abort();//This too.
abort; /* Ohh my god *??/
/return 0;??>
--- snap ---

You see, trigraph processing in comment is a very essential feature.  Does
anyone else vote for converting KDE to use trigraphs exclusively?  They
are such a useful thing.  ;-)

Ciao,
Michael.