List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kdebinding: DCOPRef.java: not found
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-04-16 15:54:23

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 16 April 2001 11:39, Richard Dale wrote:
> > Was this build problem with this KDE2.2alpha1 kdebindings module that Waldo
> > mentions below, or are there other problems too?
>
> There were others due to unused classes I removed from kdelibs
> or other things that were changed in a source-incompatible way in
> kdelibs. The java bindings force a great strictness in keeping kdelibs
> source and binary compatible with previous versions, which is a good thing :)
Yes, I hadn't thought of that - they call most of the methods in the api, so an
excellent compile time regression test. Great how keen programmers are on
finding things wrong...

 > And the binding for the opengl widget creates a problem because we
> advise to compile Qt with -no-opengl, so Waldo has removed them
> from the build.
On the other hand, are there any important new classes which need adding?

> The first problem we had was the lack of proper configure checks, so I've
> done that (see --with-java=dir and --without-java).
I downloaded some good java macros from the autoconf site, but they don't seem
to be on the distributions by default (I have SuSE 6.4, and they weren't
included in that).

> I think everything's fine now :)
Good, thanks. I need to regenerate the sources before the final 2.2 release as
there is a serious bug in the QString <--> Java string conversions (they only
work if the JVM's default encoding is UTF-8). But I'll wait until at least one
alpha version is successfully out the door.

I would like to check in Objective-C bindings for Qt/KDE in a week or two, but
I'm a bit concerned that Objective-C hasn't got much autoconf support. You have
to manually edit a line in automake 1.4 to get it to work, and there don't seem
to be any standard macros (for finding Apple/GNUstep foundation kits for
instance). I don't want to risk messing up kdebindings, and hence the java
release for 2.2, perhaps I should wait for 2.3 for those (I also have C
bindings, but they shouldn't be any problem).

-- Richard