List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Font size, display, print , zoom
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz-home () cobol2java ! com>
Date:       2001-04-15 17:51:20

Now that is a problematic point - in terms of the various Linux
distributions..

1. You don't know if the end user have XFree 4.x or XFree 3.3.x, or maybe
other commercial X servers - and what font server (if they're using font
server) they're using, and if they're using XFree 4 built in true type
support...

2. The conversion problem - Redhat got their ttmkfntdit and they use modified
XFS server - their script sucks because it extract only some of the Unicode
fonts from Windows fonts or from the Corel Draw CD, others - you don't know
if you have anything to convert TTF fonts to standard fonts.dir,
fonts.encoding etc...

3. What about *BSD, Sun, HP/UX, SGI, AIX etc? do you want to ignore them?

This font thing is indeed could be one of the major winning point of getting
the end-user to use it. None of the 'other' desktop enviroments or Window
managers does that (actually - not even Windows - the installer have the
responsibilities to install fonts). Mandrake however - got this part taken
care of, so it could be taken from there, slap a new GUI and use it...

Thanks,
Hetz