List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: javascript protocol will be supported?
From:       Fritz Elfert <felfert () to ! com>
Date:       2001-04-14 20:13:34

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, David Faure wrote:

> On Saturday 14 April 2001 17:24, Hiro Protagonist wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > Could you extrapolate on why javascript on a bookmark
> > is a bad idea?  I've got quite a few bookmarks that
> > utilize the javascript: protocol to do useful things,
> > for example a google toolbar button to do a search on
> > the currently hilighted word/phrase, a dictonary
> > lookup on m-w.com, translations via babelfish, etc.
>
> No need for bookmarks for that. Have a look at the
> "Advanced browsing" control module, for that
> (e.g. "gg:my search", "dict:a lookup" etc.)

Well at _some_ situations, bookmarks referencing javascript could be
handy. For example, i have several Cobalt servers locally running here.
These thingies are configured/administrated/used primarily via a web
frontend which makes extensive use of javascript. I would really
appreciate, if i could simply add some "actions" from their menues to
some toolbar-buttons of konqueror. AFAIK there are also several Printers
from HP and Tektronics which use similar web based GUIs.

Ciao
 -Fritz
--
Fritz Elfert <felfert AT to.com>            Thinking Objects Software GmbH