List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kab and Aethera and Kapital
From:       Olaf Zanger <olaf.zanger () soli-con ! com>
Date:       2001-04-13 7:25:22

hi there,

good point, some ideas for this
since you develop rekall and since there is dcop and kdedb/qt3.0db around why not
doing it this way:
i keep in mind there are beginners, company users and there are advanced users.
would it be possible that the whole address stuff would be extensible by advanced
user and easy transparent by normal users?

it would for example look like this:
* basing on a database table probably dbase or such
* probably advanced user would be able to select which database to use pgsql, mysql,
* rekall would have some features to move data from this kde-office-database back and
forth between a basic dbase file and the advanced realtional databases.
* this way kab, aethera and kapital would provide basically a view,
* all of them would probably use a kioslave, kdedb, qt3.0db or such (the structure
needs to be db independent),
* it would be transparent for beginners (so that they would not see anything of the
extensible complexity),
* advanced user could use the primary key to relate to other tables,
* these other tables could be maintained through rekall or whatever else,
* standard kde-web frontends could be developed with php, zope (e.g. SuSE 7.1 comes
with integrated Zope) or such,
* this gives kde the chance to add for example database-based timetracking that might
again be integrated with kapital for soho (think quickbooks) and a project manager
(there is one in early stages on apps.kde.com)

killer-app:
* IMHO the big pro of open source is that you can put together extra value through
combination of a lot of free parts that would cost thousands in the closed world.
that makes it possible for a distro to set a "kde-server" thing up out of the box
with no licencing cost.

probably you want to think in a wider sense of a thekompany-office-server or such.

feel free to ask back in case you find this interesting.

olaf

Shawn Gordon schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> We've gotten a lot of requests to share a single address book between
> Aethera and Kapital and that we also make use of kab as that
> repository.  This makes a lot of sense, but on a cursory examination of
> kab, it doesn't have near enough information to support the Kapital address
> book.  Now before we just jump in and start changing it to suite our needs,
> I would like to see what the situation is with kab and if what we are
> talking about would be viewed as a good or bad thing. Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>
> Shawn Gordon
> President
> theKompany.com