List:       kde-devel
Subject:    GOT IT! (Was: Pb with netscape -remote)
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ob6 () inf ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2001-04-10 13:31:46

> I am using Kde 2.1.1, and the well known netscape -remote bug is
> still present (ie netscape is running, `netscape -remote` failed
> with "netscape: root window has no children on display hal:0.0".)

i found the origin of the problem: kdesktop.
kdebase/kdesktop/desktop.cc introduced a new function
KDesktop::setVRoot() in revision 1.214.
obviously, the virtual root window is changed intentionally. sadly, this
breaks netscape-remote.
the commit was from coolo, so maybe, he is the right person to blame
(and to find a solution with fewer side-effects).  >:-]=]

best regards

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.