List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: "Examining file progress" hanging ...
From:       The Hermit Hacker <scrappy () hub ! org>
Date:       2001-04-09 18:27:04

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Waldo Bastian wrote:

> On Sunday 08 April 2001 10:52, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > As an example, if I go and try and change the preferences for an icon on
> > my panel, a box starts up with a title of the above, and 0% and just hangs
> > there (hitting the close button works, it doesn't hang KDE, it just
> > doesn't do anything) ...
>
> > Looking at the console, there appears to be a bunch of:
> >
> > kio (Slave): slave failed to connect to application pid=19912
> > kio (Slave): slave is slow...1711 <- number rises (1711, 1713, 1716, 1718)
>
> There is something wrong with your file io-slaves. For some reason
> they are running but don't/can't connect with the application. E.g.
> they hang during startup. When did this happen?

its been happening for awhile on one of our desktops ... I thought it
might have been related to the kxmlrpcd problem that we had reported, but
now that that appears to be fixed, and its still happening, there goes
that theory ...

Sad thing is that on my laptop, it doesn't hang ... I just tried it ...
last upgrade on this machine appears to be March 29th ... but, for the
other machine in question, its been happening further back then that ...