List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Suggestion: config.h.bot should be appended unmodified to config.h
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ob6 () inf ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2001-04-07 8:40:41

> As the automatic configuration with automake/autoconf seems to produce
> increasingly more problems than it solves on non-linux platforms (see my
> manually overriding *all* values which are detected by the automatic
> configurations.

i don't like this idea very much ... basically you suggest to undermine
the autoconf idea and make it imake-alike (plattform-specific fixed
config files). this is bad. the proper fix to correct the checks.

> A starting point is config.h.bot which can currently already contain
> platform specific stuff.
i'm not sure, if this is really the idea behind config.h.bot (but yes,
it contains some definitions which are supposed not to be worth a
separate check) ...
i thought it is supposed to use the #define's in config.h to create
a unified view on all supported systems (as far as possible).

> This does not work currently because autoconf processes the contents
> of config.h.bot as well and modifies my #undef HAVE_SOMETHING to
> #define HAVE_SOMETHING!

i agree entirely. config.h.bot should be appended completely unmodified.

> I think we must accept that autoconf can never be so good
> that it works on all platforms equally well and that it picks up correct
> values everywhere.

no. here i disagree. autoconf is made exactly to fulfill this purpose.
the problem is, that nobody has access to all the systems that are
supposed to be supported and therefor the checks are often incomplete
or even broken. the way to go is to fix the checks, not to workaround
them.

best regards

Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.