List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [ALPHA-PATCH] THIRD try at fixing up socklen issues on Solaris
From:       Michael Matz <matz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-05 22:42:47

Hi,

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> <pedant>
> btw, you seem to use typedef and define as synonyms here - don't do
> that ... define in the context of c is associated with #define, which
> is obviously something completely else than a "real" c definition like
> a typedef.
> </pedant>

<even more pedant>
You seem to think (at least your last mails indicate this), that a typedef
introduces somehow a new thing or name.  This is not true.  A typedef is
nearly exactly like a #define which can't be #undef'ined or #ifdef'ed.
I.e. with a "typedef int Bla;" in effect
  void A(int);
  void A(Bla);
are _exactly_ the same thing, (ergo not allowed in the same file, because
of equal signatures).  The mangling is the same and everything (every
compiler that mangles them different would be broken for C++).  So, a
typedef and a #define are not obviously completely different, not w/r the
effects both have.
</even more pedant>

Ciao,
Michael.