List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Every app in 2.1.1 crashes (using antialiasing)
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-04-03 23:34:34

On Tuesday 03 April 2001 02:08 pm, Jonathan Terhorst wrote:
> I'm having major problems with qt-2.3.0, xf 4.0.3, and the latest kde-2.1.1
> rpms on mandrake 7.2. Namely, anytime I try to fire up a KDE app with
> QT_XFT=1 it crashes as follows:
>
> [jonathan@spe-94-93 bin]$ QT_XFT=1 konqueror &
> [2] 28829
> [jonathan@spe-94-93 bin]$ KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
> KCrash: Application Name = konqueror path = <unknown>
>
> This is true for basically every binary in every KDE package, including the
> desktop stuff itself - so KDE won't even start up (!).
>
> Without setting QT_XFT it starts up fine, albeit without antialiasing. On
> the other hand I can start up the QT designer, licq, and other non-KDE apps
> that link to QT using QT_XFT=1 and I get purty anti-aliased fonts. So the
> problem lies somewhere with KDE itself.
Amazing deduction Sherlock. ;-)
Okay, forgive me... I may not know everything but I have years as a trouble
shooter and this looks like a quantum leap of an assumption...

How about this... is it possible that you are trying to use fonts in KDE that
you are not using in QT Designer for instance... and is it further possible
you have in fact a misconfiguration that tries to load bad fonts/directories
in XftConfig?

In fact trying to call a corrupted or non existant font seems a very
effective way to crash things. Also KDE is (at least in theory) oblivious to
what kind of fonts you use... unless you have some misconfiguration elsewhere.

Verify your XftConfig and you can also look at this link
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3093/3/

Odds are exceptionally good that it is a configuration issue and nothing to
do really with KDE.

--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team