List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror 2.1.1 and phpMyAdmin: password dialog repeatedly opened.
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2001-04-02 21:28:45

On Monday 02 April 2001 10:28 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 02 April 2001 12:41, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> > I assure you this problem is poorly written Javascript. I do not know if
> > konq supports any of the non compliant stuff like NS layers... regardless
> > this could be re-written. Maybe you might contact the author and they
> > could release a new version that works. I have been satisfied to run it
> > with JS off.
>
> KHTML supports layers now (credits to Lars) - but not via javascript
> (I think it has been decided that it will never support it via javascript,
> otherwise sites will enable the Netscape layer cr*p instead of the DOM
> stuff).
That's great to know... however it seems that as nice as it is of Lars to do
that I'm hard pressed to think of much use for it without javascript. Not
that I'm advocating total emulation of the non standard Netscape calls. It
could be a benefit to emulate IE here where it is more compliant but then if
you say you are IE to a website here you open Pandora's box of it's non
compliant issues.

It would be nice to move konqueror to where it can utilize javascript DHTML
more easily. User agents could help but what would be good is good
documentation and examples of DHTML with the current DOM. Am I missing the
availability of this? It seems that having good examples of this working
natively would mean that it could be circulated in many of the script
authoring circles on the net and make many more places friendly to konq.
--
Eric Laffoon                    sequitur@kde.org
A member of the Quanta+ Web development team