List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Special purpose malloc() in KDE?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-01 21:50:02

On Sunday 01 April 2001 04:11, Chris Samuel wrote:
> I've not really done any real testing yet, but after rebooting (and thus
> allowing all processes to pick it up) I *think* I'm seeing a noticeable
> reduction in memory usage. Currently hovering around 208Mb used with 2
> konsole's, KMail, kppp, Netscape and xosview running on the desktop, and
> Squid, Named, Cups and Postfix (amongst others) running underneath.

Hard data is what we need :-)

Try to think of a reproducable sequence of events for a certain program. E.g.
after a clean start, search for a specific msg in KMail. (But don't fetch any
new mail!)

Then save the contents of /proc/<pid of kmail>/status.

Do this with and without the preload, you might want to repeat it a few times
with for both cases in order to see if the changes are significant or due to
more or less random fluctuations.

The "Data:" field is the one that is of interest.

I would also like to know the output of 'free' after you have just started
the desktop. The interesting value here is "free plus buffers&cache" but
please send the complete output of free as well.

Can you leave as many non-KDE applications out as possible? (e.g. netscape
and xmms)

Cheers,
Waldo
--