List:       kde-devel
Subject:    QuickPrint implementation (RFC)
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2001-03-31 15:07:33

Hi,

Somebody pointed me out that it could be very useful to have some kind of quickprint
button because most users won't need the complete print dialog everytime. So I thought
a little bit about it, and here are some considerations about the implementation I have so
far. I'd like to have external opinions.

- Should be implemented as an action (maybe a standard action), but will probably
   only be used in toolbars.
- The action would be named, the name corresponding to the printer where to send
    print job. By default, the name would be empty, meaning to use user default printer.
- From a visual point of view, it would look like a tool button with a delayed popup
    menu. Simple click would print on the printer whose name corresponds to the "name"
    of the button (here "name" is of course not the QObject name, but something else).
    Maintaining the button pressed would show a popup menu with available printers.
- The action itself would fire a signal "void print(KPrinter*)", giving a KPrinter object
    configured as if the print dialog would have been used, so the application should
    use it as it would do after a "printer->setup(this)" call.
- From a performance point of view, everything should be created on demand: the
    KPrinter object should be created only when the button is first clicked, the printer
    list should only be retrieved when the popup menu is shown, ...to not slow down
    the application start-up.

Any suggestions ? Would this be useful ?

Thanks.
Michael.

Michael Goffioul                IMEC-DESICS-MIRA
e-mail: goffioul@imec.be        (Mixed-Signal and RF Applications)
Tel:    +32/16/28-8510          Kapeldreef, 75
Fax:    +32/16/28-1515          3001 HEVERLEE, BELGIUM