List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Any new name suggestions for Kant ?
From:       Christian A =?iso-8859-1?q?Str=F8mmen=20=5BNumber1=2FNumeroUno=5D?= <number1 () rea
Date:       2001-03-31 14:20:17

Saturday 31 March 2001 08:31, skrev Malte Starostik:
> Am Donnerstag, 29. März 2001 20:46 schrieb Cullmann Christoph:
> > Hi,
> > at dot.kde.org and in many mails people want a rename of kant to
> > something more intuitive (and "kant" seems to be pronounced like "c*nt",
> > which isn't very nice).
> > Therefor I want to get some suggestions of a new name for Kant.
> > Any ideas, comments, ... ?
> >
> > The new name should fullfill following things (which the current name
> > doesn't fullfill):
> > 1. People should get a hint what the app is (a texteditor).
> > 2. It should be not to long (nobody wants to type 10.000 letters to start
> > it). 3. Should start with K (would be nice, but perhaps no real MUST).
>
> I really like the idea someone mentioned on #kde: Kute - KDE Universal Text
> Editor.
> -Malte

Now this I like!!  I've just gone trough all of the mails in this thread
(starting to become huge!), and the only ones I myself like is (besides
renaming kant to kwrite which I believe would be the best solution):

kpad = brings your mind to notepad, something that makes most people
understand that it's a text editor. It's also short and easy to pronounce.

ked = short and easy name to remember and to pronounce. Makes people think
about edit.

kute = well.. this is simply.. cute :)   It's easy to remember, easy to
pronounce, and sticks in your mind!

Most of the mails that have gone to this list is saying that the name should
describe the application!  Now why should it do that?  People that uses the
application only now and then will launch it from the k-menu where it will be
names something like "name - advanced editor".  The point isn't to have a
name that necessarly tells you what the application do, the point is to have
a name that people will remember.

The first time someone launch YOUR app, they will probably do it from the
k-menu if the app was in the kdepackages.  Then they won't think about the
name of the app, they'll just go to the correct submenu in the k-menu and
launch it from there.  The next time they'll launch it they might use the
run-dialog, and because of this it's important to have a short and easy name
so that people remember it. A name like for example ktextor, is simply too
long (yes, more than 6 letters is LONG!) and to "complex" for someone that
doesn't care about the name when they run it the first time.

Just my two cents :)

--
\ Christian A Strømmen /
\ Number1/NumeroUno @ Undernet - Email: number1@realityx.net /