List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: mime type for a directory?
From:       "Chris January" <chrisjanuary () bigfoot ! com>
Date:       2001-03-28 0:42:19

> Anyway, I would like it if tar files (and tgz, tar.bz2, zip, etc.)  were
> treaded as directories everywhere. That would give at least two major

Or really any archive. What do you feel would be the best way to achieve
this?
I would probably opt for maybe calling the existing command-line programs
and parsing them through some sort of filter (e.g. a perl script) which
standardised the output and the directory listings, etc. to KIO. I think it
would probably be wise to take a look at how ark works at this stage since
essentially a lot of the functionality from ark would be duplicated.

> usability improvements IMHO:
> - From file open dialogs and friends you can dive into the tar file and
> select files within it instead.
> - Tar files are shown between directories in the file views, where they
> belong IMO, and not between regular files.
>
> Because someone might also want to open tar files as regular files, they
> should ideally have _both_ a file and a directory bit set, so they act as
> hybrid. I really don't know if KIO can handle that, but in this case that
> would be very useful.

I'm not sure about that one - would have to check it out. You'd have to have
some way of specifying when it should act like a directory and when it
should act like a regular file.

> I would really like it if someone who has some time to code this could
> implement it, that's all I can ask because I don't (and can't) do it
myself

If it's not been done already I may look into it.