List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: multimedia streaming lib wanted
From:       Martin Vogt <mvogt () rhrk ! uni-kl ! de>
Date:       2001-03-30 14:34:07

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 04:11:34PM +0000, Hetz Ben Hamo wrote:
> > Don't use MPEG2. mpeg2dec is not stable enough (yet). ac3dec is
> > not reentrant/stable. And libmpeg3 is too slow/cannot play mp3.
> > So there is only mpeg-I.
> >

> How come?
>
> I'm using Xine here which uses both mpeg2dec and ac3dec - and I watch with it
> quite a lot of DVD's (what else can I do when I compile KDE daily? ;)
>
> There are some very tiny (0.3 ms) syncing problems, but as much as I can tell
> - mpeg2dec is pretty stable in terms of playback..

This is not the mpeg2dec from linuxvideo.
-MPlayer/xine uses the current 0.2.0 mpeg2dec release.
-At least MPlayer has a hack for mpeg2dec which makes it stable
 (catches SIGSEV)

mpeg2dec is stable as long a the stream is not buggy and if you
re-init the lib after a seek.(this is what xine/mplayer do)

Until the new Motion Compensation code is not in mpeg2dec
it remains unstable, even if you don't have much segfaults.
Ok, you can use it (with the SIGSEV hack), but its not stable (yet).

I just checked xine, they seem to already have a corba interface.

regards,

Martin