List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 2.1 and VNC
From:       Dan Pilone <pilone () slac ! com>
Date:       2001-03-23 5:31:11

On Thursday 22 March 2001 05:18, Scott & Karen Newton wrote:
> servers to KDE 2.1 from KDE 1.1.2. Now when the user
> logs on through KDM ksplash appears and then immediately
> crashes. Eventually the desktop appears but you are
> unable to start any programs.

  I replied to a message like this before, and I don't know if it helped
then, or if this will help now, but I've found that running the VNC server in
8 bit color cause KDE to crash.  (KDE is fine on a real 8 bit display, it was
only under VNC.)  The splash screen would crash, kicker would usually start,
but eventually even that would die. Just setting the VNC server to a depth of
16 bits let everything start working normally.  You can still use vncviewer
on an 8 bit display and all will be ok, but the vncserver needed to be
started with 16 bit color.  Hope that helps -- Dan

--
GPG Fingerprint = EB47 45A5 B3EB B78E 7AE4 DDA8 7A70 FFB6 EEAA 0F10
See http://www.slac.com/pilone/gpg-key.txt for full key.