List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE2.2 Multimedia Meeting Summary
From:       Tobias Anton <anton () stud ! fbi ! fh-darmstadt ! de>
Date:       2001-03-21 15:17:53

On Wednesday 21 March 2001 04:01, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
>              The KDE2.2 Meeting, IRC discussion summary
>          written by Stefan Westerfeld <stw@kde.org>, 2001-03-21
>
> This summary provides an overview of the things that we talked about
> during the KDE2.2 multimedia meeting which took place on IRC (2001-03-06).
> If you want to read more than the summary, the full IRC logfile is at
> http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/download/KDE2.2-Multimedia-Meeting.IRCLog
>
> Participants (in no particular order):
>
>   Antonio Larrosa
>   Stefan Schimanski
>   Nikolas Zimmermann
>   Stefan Westerfeld
>   Stefan Gehn
>   Jeff Tranter
>   Lee Jordan
>   Jono Bacon
>   Neil Stevens
>   Achim Bohnet
>   Charles Samuels
>   Manuel Fischer
>   Carsten Pfeiffer
>   Tobi (missing your realname)
>   (... there was a lot of joining and leaving on the channel, so maybe
>        I forgot somebody ...)
>
> Overview:
> =========
>
> Somehow, it could have been called aRts development meeting. Maybe that was
> a result of talking about the aRts TODO list "first" (because it was the
> only document which was available before the meeting), and then getting to
> nothing else. Maybe it was a result of me moderating ;). And finally, maybe
> it was because aRts is a very central component of the KDE multimedia
> development, and thus working on KDE multimedia almost always implies
> somehow getting in touch with aRts.
>
> Anyway, the following will try to give the idea what we talked about, and
> try to reconstruct the tasks that were assigned.
>
> 1. aRts Core/SoundServer
> 1.1 Threading
> 1.2 Error handling
> 1.3 SoundServer userfriendliness
> 1.4 CSL/C API
> 2. KMedia2
> 2.1 Gapless playing
> 2.2 PlayObjects for custom data streams
> 2.3 X11 Embedding
> 2.4 Kaboodle
> 3. GUIs for aRts objects
> 4. Mixer issues
> 5. Conclusion

>== 1. aRts Core/SoundServer
>==
>
> 1.1 Threading
> =============
>
> Threading: mpeglib is threaded, decoders are threaded, the first point is
> about making aRts threadsafe enough to develop threaded playobjects and
> such. It's mostly done anyway, so it will be in KDE2.2 (libmcop-mt).
>
> 1.2 Error handling
> ==================
>
> We discussed error handling in MCOP apps. The problem is that currently
> when artsd dies apps segfault unpredictable. This is usually since when
> artsd died, remote operations returning object references return null
> pointers. Calling

> [...]
Right. I didn't forget about that, i was just out of time the last days.

BTW, my real name is Tobias Anton.

For this problem, i think of the following solution:
we'll create a signal SoundServerDied(), and test "this" in every method,
emitting that signal as soon as "this" is NULL. We could avoid crashes
completely this way, i think.

Tobi