List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kISDN
From:       Thorsten Westheider <thorsten.westheider () teleos-web ! de>
Date:       2001-03-13 14:35:49

Frerich Raabe wrote:

> On Tuesday, 13. March 2001 14:20, Thorsten Westheider wrote:
> > I'm one of the authors of the commercial application
> > "kISDN" and I consider releasing parts of the sources
> > under a GPL licensing for the purpose of adding native
> > ISDN dialup functionality to the KDE.
> >
> > Q: If I were to do that, would there be people interested
> > in integrating that stuff in the KDE?
> >
> > Feel free to contact me at my private e-mail address
> > (thorsten.westheider@teleos-web.de), I have no intentions
> > of cluttering this list with license related postings.
>
> Whoa, that'd be great! kISDN is a great app IMHO, but I'm not quite sure in
> how far it's related to kppp. Is it a full replacement?

No, it's no replacement but an addition, of course. The
code is quite different from kppp, but you haven't
expected anything else, have you?

The last time I had a look at kppp it was aimed at modem
dialup. However, I think it'd be better to have a common
PPP layer that way that PPP connections of any flavor
(PPP over modem, PPP over ISDN, PPP over Ethernet etc.)
could be handled the same way, no matter what kind of link
PPP is run over. That PPP layer would be responsible for
opening/closing a PPP connection, giving status information
etc. Code taken from kISDN could then be used for building
the ISDN layer in this model. So, yes, there is a great
deal of work waiting for those who dare to undertake this
job.

        Regards,
          Thorsten Westheider

--
Dipl.-Phys. Thorsten Westheider     / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
Im Schlingen 15                    / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /