List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Who needs this? draggable K-Menue
From:       Derek Fountain <derekfountain () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-11 2:02:16

> On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 06:25:11PM +0100, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> >* the K-Menu opens in a separate window which I can drag around - I can  not
> >reproduce this :-( ,  lets make it a reproducable feature :-)  so one can pin
> >it somwhere...
>
> Could anyone point out where this feature may be useful? I think nobody wants
> their K-Menue in a window, does anyone?
>
> Please enlighten me, I think ATM it should not be introduced.

I wonder how many other people, like me, have removed the K Menu
completely? I just never used it. If I can't get to what I want with
Alt-F2, I start a terminal and interact directly. Wandering up and down
submenus is a waste of time for me.

Which, incidently, raises an interesting point. I see from the fuzzy
screenshots of Windows XP (or whatever they're calling it today) that
the start menu on this OS has been replaced with a sort of control
panel. This strikes me as being a good idea: have a panel with a set of
icons, the Run Command (Alt-F2) dialog and a small shell window all
embedded into it, plus the original menu button. All configurable of
course, and optional for those who like the original.

Now that strikes me as a good idea! Sort of like the good old drawers of
KDE-1.1.2 on steriods!