List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: User Interface guide
From:       Jelmer Feenstra <spark () dds ! nl>
Date:       2001-03-09 12:24:39

On Friday 09 March 2001 07:17, Greg Turpin wrote:
> Can we get someone to add this to the kde developers website somewhere?
>
> I am thoroughly impressed with this author's comments.  We need
> to recruit him.  KDE can benefit from a few of his suggestions.
>
> Example kicker:
>
>    The "start menu" on kicker should be all the way to the left of the
> screen by default.  You should be able to put the mouse all the way
> to the bottom left of the screen and click to bring up the start menu.
>
> Couldn't agree more with this guy.  The average end user is dumb.
> Not dumb in a bad way, just in a "I don't want to spend a half an hour
> learning how to use this feature" kind of way.

He has a nice way of presenting his thoughts on userinterface issues as well,
he certainly made me smile on a number of occasions while reading the article
:)

About what you just said concerning kicker and hitting the start (K-) menu
easily; I think it's a very nice feature of windows that if a window is
maximized, you can close the window by yanking your mouse to the top-right
and hit your mouse button. In kde you are hitting the edge of the window
instead of the close button. I for one really liked the fast way of closing
windows by the way described above. Comments ?

Thanks,

Jelmer