List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: working from home (remote)
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-07 15:46:18

On Wednesday 07 March 2001 10:10, Mark Deneen wrote:
> KMail is a KUniqueApplication, so there is only one instance allowed.
>
> I forget the qualifications of this instance, though.
>
> On Wednesday 07 March 2001 08:52 am, Neal D.Becker wrote:
> > I guess I should be more clear.  kmail is already running on my remote
> > workstation.  It is grabbing mail via pop3.
> >
> > I tried remotely logging in to that workstation and firing up kmail from
> > home.  As far as I can tell it worked fine, other than the X connection
> > was slow.
> >
> > If I have 2 kmails running on the same host will they fight?  I guess
> > there could be problems with simultaneous access to the local mail files,
> > as well as problems with simultaneous pop3 access.  Has kmail been
> > written with proper locking to prevent problems?

   You can open a second main window with kmail.  I think the openReader()
dcop call only redisplays the currently open reader window but it would be
interesting if it could be extended to open a second reader on a different
display.  I'm not sure how possible this is.

   KMail will support IMAP soon and you can use this to keep your mail in a
central location.

--

George Staikos