List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mixing encodings with an HTML page
From:       Lars Knoll <lars () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-03-07 12:32:23

On Wednesday 07 March 2001 13:06, "Éric" Brunet wrote:
> In ens.mailing-lists.kde-devel, you wrote:
> >> Ù<p> <!-- character 0xd7;  uppercase omega in latin-7 encoding -->
> >>
> >> &eacute;<p> <!-- this one is not in latin 7 --!>
> >>
> >> &#1044; <!-- U+0414; CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER DE. Not in latin-7 -->
> >
> >Unfortunately, the X11 font cencept makes this exceedingly difficult to
> >implement. There are a few ways to get this working. One is too use
> > Unicode fonts for displaying. I removed this in KDE-2/2.1 because it made
> > quite some problems for people with slower machines (and most people
> > don't need the mixing).
>
> Well, with the konqueror from kde-2.1, I have the ability to declare a
> unicode font, and it is correctly used if I manually set the encoding of
> the page to UTF-8. It is ugly (bitmap font) and slow, but it works. What
> you removed for kde-2/2.1 was the systematic use of a unicode font,
> whatever the encoding of the document is ?

Yes. I think of reintroducing this as a config option. There are good free
Unicode fonts available now from the openoffice package, and I hope
distributors will start using them. utf8 encoded files always have to use a
unicode font, as I don't know which chars might be in the document.

> >         I could readd this as a config option to the HTML settings dialog
> > in 2.2. It'll work directly if you use the new antialiased fonts with
> > Qt-2.3, beacause these are always Unicode fonts, and Qt just pretends
> > them to be something different.
>
> Instead of displaying the whole document in the unicode font, maybe the
> simplest thing to do would be to use the font defined for the encoding
> type of the current document, and switch locally to the unicode font only
> to display the &#xxxx; tokens that do not exist in the current encoding.
> After all it makes sense to use an unicode font to render a command that
> means ``get the unicode character number xxxx''. It might not look very
> well if the default font and the unicode font are too different, but at
> least it would be correct.

Very difficult to do in the current model. entities are just converted to
their corresponding unicode value and inserted into the text string.

> >The real solution will however only come with Qt-3 where we get a real
> > good abstraction of a font, that hides all the uglyness (8bit'ness) of
> > the X11 font model.
>
> A good abstraction of fonts whitin X11 is like a holy grail... But I
> trust TrollTech: if it is possible, they will do it.

Have a look at my mail adress... ;-)

Cheers,
Lars