List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Mixing encodings with an HTML page
From:       "Éric" Brunet <ebrunet () quatramaran ! ens ! fr>
Date:       2001-03-07 12:06:59

In ens.mailing-lists.kde-devel, you wrote:
>> Ù<p> <!-- character 0xd7;  uppercase omega in latin-7 encoding -->
>>
>> &eacute;<p> <!-- this one is not in latin 7 --!>
>>
>> &#1044; <!-- U+0414; CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER DE. Not in latin-7 -->
>>
>Unfortunately, the X11 font cencept makes this exceedingly difficult to
>implement. There are a few ways to get this working. One is too use Unicode
>fonts for displaying. I removed this in KDE-2/2.1 because it made quite some
>problems for people with slower machines (and most people don't need the
>mixing).
Well, with the konqueror from kde-2.1, I have the ability to declare a
unicode font, and it is correctly used if I manually set the encoding of
the page to UTF-8. It is ugly (bitmap font) and slow, but it works. What
you removed for kde-2/2.1 was the systematic use of a unicode font,
whatever the encoding of the document is ?

>         I could readd this as a config option to the HTML settings dialog in
>2.2. It'll work directly if you use the new antialiased fonts with Qt-2.3,
>beacause these are always Unicode fonts, and Qt just pretends them to be
>something different.

Instead of displaying the whole document in the unicode font, maybe the
simplest thing to do would be to use the font defined for the encoding
type of the current document, and switch locally to the unicode font only to
display the &#xxxx; tokens that do not exist in the current encoding.
After all it makes sense to use an unicode font to render a command that
means ``get the unicode character number xxxx''. It might not look very
well if the default font and the unicode font are too different, but at
least it would be correct.

>The real solution will however only come with Qt-3 where we get a real good
>abstraction of a font, that hides all the uglyness (8bit'ness) of the X11
>font model.

A good abstraction of fonts whitin X11 is like a holy grail... But I
trust TrollTech: if it is possible, they will do it.

Éric Brunet