List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 2.2 RELEASE SCHEDULE (update)
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-03-06 23:00:38

On Tuesday 06 March 2001 17:25, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 March 2001 02:49, aleXXX wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 March 2001 07:27, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > The feedback received on the proposal for the 2.2. release schedule
> > > indicates a need for some more time to do structural improvements to
> > > KDE between now and KDE 2.2 and the need for an independent release of
> > > KOffice.
> > >
> > > David Faure and I agreed that David will propose a release schedule for
> > > KOffice and coordinate that release while I will coordinate the KDE 2.2
> > > release.
> >
> > From the website:
> >
> > KDE 2.2 Beta 1
> > Thursday March 22
> > The HEAD branch is temporary frozen : bugfix commits only
> >
> > Don't you think that if we delay the final 2.2 we could also delay the
> > first beta ? Beta's with to much changes afterwards are not that useful I
> > think.
>
> The purpose of beta's is to get feedback about the code. The earlier we get
> that feedback the longer we have time to fix things.
>
> Every 100 lines of new code introduces a certain amount of bugs. By having
> betas at regular intervals we will be able to find and fix those bugs over
> a longer period of time instead of being swamped by them all at once.

I agree with this.  However, shouldn't that be balanced with how often we
release beta's as well as final versions ?  In my initial comment this was
what I was trying to point out.  I mean KDE 2.1.1 is planned to be ready for
March 23 and announced on March 26.  KDE 2.2 beta1 however is forzen
before the 2.1.1 release and released on April 2, only a week after 2.1.1.

I urge you to please consider this from the average Joe's prespective.  I am
not worried about the developers since most of us can manage  it, I think.
However if average joe who likes to send bug reports just updated to 2.1.1
the week of release, is (s)he likely going to update to beta1 ?  What would be
the purpose of beta1 then ?  I mean people in the "in-circle" probably have
tested this stuff already since they get daily updates.

Anyways, IMHO the 2.2 beta1 temporary freeze should occur the same day
2.1.1 comes out.  This would only push back everything only by a week, but it
is significant in that there is a two week time frame b/n 2.2 beta1 and 2.1.1
which should give people some breezing room and the ability to have worked
with both 2.1.1 and 2.2.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Regards,
Dawit A.