List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Huge resources required to get backtrace
From:       Derek Fountain <derekfountain () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-03-06 9:03:21

> > For my useage patterns Konqueror (from KDE_2_1_BRANCH) is still too
> > unstable for regular use. It crashes within a few minutes each time I
> > try to use it. I would like to register these problems at bugs.kde.org,
> > but can't. When I ask for a backtrace the process (Dr Konki?) fills up
> > all 128MB I have plus all of my 128MB swap space. The machine grinds to
> > a halt until either the VM OOM subsystem hits the correct task, or I hit
> > the reboot button.
> >
> > Does it really require nearly quarter of a Gig of RAM to get a Konqueror
> > backtrace, or is it just my system?
>
> Well it probably depends.  How many things are you running ?  How did you
> compile the packages, if you compiled them yourself (with what options) ? And
> which debugger do you have, gdb --version ?  I have no problems generating
> a backtrace with a five year old generic machine w/ 64MB of memory with about
> 6-7 different applications running.  Ohh... I guess it also depends which appliations
> you are running.  I usually have one instance of kmail, multiple instances konqueror
> but with the same process, one konsole with multiple sessions and several kwrite with
> many lines code in each.  Is your useage pattern similar ?

I suspect it's because, as someone suggested, I have all the libraries
and stuff compiled with symbols. I stop everything I can before trying
to get the backtrace. Having upgraded to gdb-5.0 I can now just about
get a trace. I get to within a dozen or so MB of my virtual memory
limit, but it does now work. I've managed to file a couple of Konqueror
bug reports in the last couple of days.