List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: gnome dvd player
From:       Samuel Hocevar <sam () zoy ! org>
Date:       2001-03-05 21:59:39

[ sorry about the broken thread, but I just subscribed and couldn't
  find an appropriate Message-ID in the archives ]

George Staikos <staikos@kde.org> wrote:

>  There are three players currently working in Linux.  OMS seems to have the
> best design for integrating different GUIs.  I expect it would be very easy
> to write a KDE GUI for it.  I have had the most success getting Xine to play
> DVDs for me.  And of course I"ve heard good reviews of videolan as well.

   Writing a GUI for VideoLAN is just a matter of filling three
functions (intf_Open, intf_Run and intf_Close), with the only
requirement that intf_Run calls a core function from time to time.
The interface runs in a separate thread as if it was a standalone KDE
program.

   The reason why a KDE interface isn't mentioned in the TODO list is
just that no one ever bothered updating it. Actually we're just looking
for someone who would have time to do it, so if anyone is interested,
just tell me.

> In any case, it would be really nice to have a native DVD player. The
> biggest problem will be portability though. I'm sure it won't work on
> all the platforms that KDE works on.

   VideoLAN has no endiannes issues and even runs under BeOS and
GNU/Hurd, so portability doesn't look like a problem to me. It might
not run under every single platform KDE works on, but at least it was
designed to be portable from the beginning and porting it to a now
architecture shouldn't be that hard.

Regards,
Sam.
--
Samuel Hocevar <sam@zoy.org> <http://sam.zoy.org/>
for DVDs in Linux screw the MPAA and ; do dig $DVDs.z.zoy.org ; done | \