List:       kde-devel
Subject:    New kdelibs/kdecore/ksock stuff limits KDE to newer OS versions ...
From:       Thomas Leitner <tom () radar ! tu-graz ! ac ! at>
Date:       2001-03-05 13:08:05

Hi,

Today I tried to compile the KDE CVS head branch under Tru64 4.0 again and
stubled across severe problems with kdelibs/kdecore,
kdelibs/kdecore/ksockaddr and klibs/kdecore/kextsock.

The problem is that these routines need stuff which is not available on
my OS version (4.0x) like the following routines:

inet_ntop, inet_pton and getaddrinfo

These system calls seem to be available only on very new operating system
revisions. In my particular case, they are available under Tru64 5.x but
not on 4.x. Needless to say that I do not want to drop support for Tru64
4.0x because it is still rather widely used.

The same is possibly true for Solaris. I didn't find these routines
on Solaris 7 which is still quite new.

So I think we've got two options:

- Keep kdelibs/kdecore/ksock* stuff as it is and write emulation routines
  for all these routines in kdelibs/kdecore/fakes.c

- modify kdelibs/kdecore/ksock* stuff to avoid these routines.

I'd opt for the latter approach because basically all these routines are
only convenience routines. The same functionality can be had by the
standard routines inet_ntoa, inet_addr and the like.

Any comments??

Tom

P.S.: Why was this stuff implemented anway. Is the QSocket, QSocketDevice
      and QServerSocket not good anymore?
Dr. Tom Leitner                             Dept. of Communications
                                            Graz University of Technology,
e-mail    : tom@radar.tu-graz.ac.at         Inffeldgasse 12
Phone     : +43-316-873-7455                A-8010 Graz / Austria / Europe
Fax       : +43-316-463-697
Home page : http://www.radar.tugraz.at/people/tom.html
PGP public key on : ftp://wiis.tu-graz.ac.at/pgp-keys/tom.asc or send
mail with subject "get Thomas Leitner" to pgp-public-keys@keys.pgp.net