List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [kprint] Can't use GLOB_TILDE on Solaris
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () mountlinux ! com>
Date:       2001-03-02 1:51:03

Hi..

back from snowboarding, so i may as well wade in on this thread again =)

> > > Well, you will have to make your own globbing function, because it's
> > > unlikely that all supported platforms have an OS implementation. You
> > > could still use #ifdefs to use an OS implementation when available if
> > > you think that would work better, but that usually involves a bunch of
> > > autoconf checks and I doubt whether that is worth the trouble.
> >
> > I think that using the OS implementation should be faster than a pure
> > recusive implementation using QDir. Of course I don't know every system,
> > but isn't it possible that all UNIX-like OS have an equivalent routine
> > for expanding tilde and wildcards ?
>
> Well, who knows. "I don't know every system" that's the problem, neither do

if its any reassurance, glob is POSIX, AFIAK (and also according to the man
pages on my system). armed with this self-assurance, i did some searching and
here are system with glob documented in the section 3 of their man pages:

  - linux
  - *bsd
  - tru64
  - sunOS 5
  - solaris
  - AIX

and they all return a glob_t, as POSIX tells them to. i'm sure that other
unices therefore also have it, at least any released in the last several
years.

so ... it looks like you could do a glob() routine and have it portable
across most if not all unixes.. note that this is without experimentation,
theory only so i'm sure one of the Unix vendors managed to get it wrong in
some small way.. on the whole however, i trust the man pages... perhaps i'm a
fool =P

--
Aaron Seigo