List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 2.2 RELEASE SCHEDULE (proposal) [NOTE: 2.2 != 2.1.1]
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () rz ! tu-ilmenau ! de>
Date:       2001-03-04 11:56:44

On Saturday 03 March 2001 14:11, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 03 March 2001 08:48, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > > KDE 2.2 Beta 1
> > >
> > > Thursday March 22
> > > ==============
> > > The HEAD branch is temporary frozen : bugfix commits only
> >
> > Most of the the time I abstain from forcefully commenting on release
> > schedules.  Well, actually I did one time and that was the original
> > release for 2.0 which I objected to.  Anyways, IMHO this release schedule
> > is a bit too aggressive for its own good.  I was planning on a re-design
> > of the http io-slave so that we can easily add support for webdav and I
> > am sure some people have similar things to do.  However, this is a minor
> > issue for me compared to bombarding people with one release after
> > another.  Shouldn't we at least give the users a month or two to digest
> > the stable release at the time (2.1.1) before throwing yet another beta
> > release on them ?  I know our release were a bit too lengthy before, but
> > I feel that we are doing a 180 and going in the opposite direction now.
> > People, specially those that use slow connection to download this stuff,
> > might feel overwhelmed and simply ignore our beta releases.  This is a
> > lose of potential bug reporters to us.  As much as most of us hate some
> > of the meaningless bug reports we receive, I do not think we want this,
> > do we ?  As far as I am concerned a flurry of releases are just as bad as
> > far apart ones.
>
> I agree that 2.2 could be a little bit later, to allow time for more
> development. If we keep backporting bugfixes into the 2.1 branch, then
> 2.1.1 will be where people can really get the bugfixes from, whereas 2.2.
> is for more real development.

Yes, first beta end of march are not even three weeks, in other words this
means, that I instantly have to hurry to finish what I am working on, the
same state as since the release of 2.0. Let's delay the first beta by at
least one month, maybe then we need only one beta, please  :-)

Maybe we could also have a 2.1.2 if would allow also minor bugfixes or minor
missing features to be committed to the 2.1 branch. Or we label the mentioned
release not 2.2 but 2.1.2 (like the famous 1.1.2 releasse of KDE1 ;-)

> About KOffice, I thought it would be a separate release. It's important
> enough to be worth that, IMHO, and the time frame is different, especially
> since it wasn't part of 2.1

How about releasing KDE 2.2 and one week later koffice 1.0 ?
kMail with imap could be released earlier if possible, the same maybe for
kant.

I don't know what the current status of the caldera smb ioslave is, would be
nice to have it in the next relase.

Bye
Alex