Hi George, others... Actually, wading through the livid mailing lists (where most components has been created there - e.g. mpeg2dec, ac3dec, libcss etc) - you can see there that all of those parts works quite well on Solaris, *BSD and Linux, as well as PowerPC... So portability is not a problem (other then SGI, but I know that there are some engineers from SGI in this list who can probably assist in porting to SGI)... What could be a bit of a problem is the Xv exntension in XFree. Linux have it, and I think *BSD also, but I don't know about PowerPC and others.. You can go with libSDL, but that will cost performance (try to compare performance with SDL on VideoLan and Xv on Xine and see what I mean).. -- Hetz Ben Hamo Hardware Research dept. Aduva Inc. George Staikos wrote: > > On Sunday 04 March 2001 00:02, craig wrote: > > Hello i'm just a end user with no programing skills, so all I can do right > > now is suggest and support. I recently came across this gnome dvd app that > > plays dvd movies (http://www.videolan.org). I would like to suggest that > > someone make a kde port of it in much the same way as the kompany ported > > gphoto to kde. I hope a developer will consider it. It would make a great > > addition to kde 2.2!!! > > There are three players currently working in Linux. OMS seems to have the > best design for integrating different GUIs. I expect it would be very easy > to write a KDE GUI for it. I have had the most success getting Xine to play > DVDs for me. And of course I"ve heard good reviews of videolan as well. In > any case, it would be really nice to have a native DVD player. The biggest > problem will be portability though. I'm sure it won't work on all the > platforms that KDE works on. Also all of these players seem to be under > heavy development and the interfaces could keep changing from day to day. It > might be a lot of work to maintain at first. > > It's definitely something to consider for the future. > > -- > > George Staikos > > > >> Visit http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe << >> Visit http://master.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<