List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 2.2 RELEASE SCHEDULE (proposal) [NOTE: 2.2 != 2.1.1]
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-03-03 13:11:35

On Saturday 03 March 2001 08:48, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > KDE 2.2 Beta 1
> >
> > Thursday March 22
> > ==============
> > The HEAD branch is temporary frozen : bugfix commits only
>
> Most of the the time I abstain from forcefully commenting on release schedules.  \
> Well, actually I did one time and that was the original release for 2.0 which I \
> objected to.  Anyways, IMHO this release schedule is a bit too aggressive for its \
> own good.  I was planning on a re-design of the http io-slave so that we can easily \
> add support for webdav and I am sure some people have similar things to do.  \
> However, this is a minor issue for me compared to bombarding people with one \
> release after another.  Shouldn't we at least give the users a month or two to \
> digest the stable release at the time (2.1.1) before throwing yet another beta \
> release on them ?  I know our release were a bit too lengthy before, but I feel \
> that we are doing a 180 and going in the opposite direction now. People, specially \
> those that use slow connection to download this stuff, might feel overwhelmed and \
> simply ignore our beta releases.  This is a lose of potential bug reporters to us.  \
> As much as most of us hate some of the meaningless bug reports we receive, I do not \
> think we want this, do we ?  As far as I am concerned a flurry of releases are just \
> as bad as far apart ones.

I agree that 2.2 could be a little bit later, to allow time for more development.
If we keep backporting bugfixes into the 2.1 branch, then 2.1.1 will be where people
can really get the bugfixes from, whereas 2.2. is for more real development.

About KOffice, I thought it would be a separate release. It's important enough
to be worth that, IMHO, and the time frame is different, especially since it
wasn't part of 2.1