List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 2.2 RELEASE SCHEDULE (proposal) [NOTE: 2.2 != 2.1.1]
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-03-03 13:11:35

On Saturday 03 March 2001 08:48, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
> > KDE 2.2 Beta 1
> >
> > Thursday March 22
> > ==============
> > The HEAD branch is temporary frozen : bugfix commits only
>
> Most of the the time I abstain from forcefully commenting on release \
> schedules.  Well, actually I did one time and that was the original \
> release for 2.0 which I objected to.  Anyways, IMHO this release schedule \
> is a bit too aggressive for its own good.  I was planning on a re-design \
> of the http io-slave so that we can easily add support for webdav and I \
> am sure some people have similar things to do.  However, this is a minor \
> issue for me compared to bombarding people with one release after \
> another.  Shouldn't we at least give the users a month or two to digest \
> the stable release at the time (2.1.1) before throwing yet another beta \
> release on them ?  I know our release were a bit too lengthy before, but \
> I feel that we are doing a 180 and going in the opposite direction now. \
> People, specially those that use slow connection to download this stuff, \
> might feel overwhelmed and simply ignore our beta releases.  This is a \
> lose of potential bug reporters to us.  As much as most of us hate some \
> of the meaningless bug reports we receive, I do not think we want this, \
> do we ?  As far as I am concerned a flurry of releases are just as bad as \
> far apart ones.

I agree that 2.2 could be a little bit later, to allow time for more \
development. If we keep backporting bugfixes into the 2.1 branch, then \
2.1.1 will be where people can really get the bugfixes from, whereas 2.2. \
is for more real development.

About KOffice, I thought it would be a separate release. It's important \
enough  to be worth that, IMHO, and the time frame is different, especially \
since it wasn't part of 2.1