List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 2.1.1 RELEASE SCHEDULE (proposal for revision)
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-03-02 10:40:50

On Thursday 01 March 2001 14:42, Christian A Strømmen [Number1/NumeroUno] wrote:
> On Thursday  1. March 2001 02:06, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > Also unavailable from
> > http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-2.1.1-release-plan.html
> >
> > KDE 2.1.1 Release Plan
> > ==================
> >
> > The following is the outline for our KDE 2.1.1 release schedule.
> >
> > The primary goals of the 2.1.1 release are:
> > * Critical bugfixes
> > * Completion of the translations in many languages
> > * Documentation for almost all applications
> > * Improvement of the icons (yes?)
> >
> > All dates given here are subject to revision, but we will try out best to
> > stick to them if possible.
> >
> > David Faure is acting as release coordinator for the KDE 2.1.1 and 2.2
> > releases
> >
> > Monday March 19
> > =============
> > Last day for translations, documentation, icons and critical bugfixes
> > commits to the KDE_2_1_BRANCH.
> >
> > Tuesday morning (GMT) March 20
> > =========================
> > The CVS is tagged KDE_2_1_1_RELEASE, tarballs are released to the packagers
> >
> > The rest of the week is spent testing the tarballs, packaging and writing
> > the announcement and changelog.
>
> Is this such a good idea?  Why make tarballs for testing?  Couldn't we just
> freeze the cvs for a couple of days (from Monday March 19), and then when we
> feel it's tested enough we send it off to the packagers... ?
>
> For every release now, the packages have had to be rebuilt, this is
> unnecessary and frustrating work.  Let's try to avoid it this time...

Actually, I had a second thought about this, and I think we have a way
to do that. Since declaring "CVS is hard frozen" has no effect whatsoever :),
maybe that actually tagging the CVS a few days before making the tarballs
and packages would help. This way, the last-minute bugfixes would have
to be _really_ approved to get in (moving the tag being limited to 1 or 2 persons).

This should help reducing the last-minute breakages, and having for 1 or 2
days a "for testing only" CVS.

But I see this as necessary only for 2.2 (which would otherwise happen like
2.1). For 2.1.1 this doesn't seem necessary, since there is much less hacking
going on there (2.0.1 went out just fine). Same for the betas.

So the modification would be for the 2.2 schedule :

Sunday May 27
=============
Last day for translations, documentation, icons and critical bugfixes
commits.

Monday May 28
The HEAD branch of CVS is tagged KDE_2_1_RELEASE and the day is spent
testing the release a final time.

Tuesday May 29
The tarballs are made and released to the packagers.

The rest of the week is spent packaging and writing the announcement
and changelog.

If 100 people test the same code during a 24 hour period, we should
have a really bugfree release, right ? ;-))  [dreaming].