List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror: "View Properties Saved In Directory"
From:       Mark Deneen <deneen () bucknell ! edu>
Date:       2001-03-01 17:58:09

On Thursday 01 March 2001 05:38 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Thursday 01 March 2001 05:31, Mark Deneen wrote:
> > Can this string be changed to something like:
> >
> > "View Properties Are Saved In Directory" ?
>
> Looks a bit strange, no ?
> That's what it means, but "Are" is a bit unusual.

Yes, it is much too long, and looks strange..

> > When I first read this, I thought it was going to show me properties that
> > were saved for that directory.
>
> Hmm, it doesn't start with "Show" :)

Maybe it is because my native language is english?  If I see a sentance which
starts with "View" I think of that as the action.

If that menu item is not checked, I have no way of knowing that it is a
toggle option.

> > The string I proposed is not even all that clear.. :-(
> >
> > maybe "Directory Properties Are Saved" ?
>
> That's not what it is.

Oops.  I started mixing up the words to make it sound better and did not
notice that I had changed the meaning.  :-)

> > "Save Directory Properties"
>
> Nope, we wouldn't know what to save (which settings).
> With a flag "saved in directory vs saved globally", you can change
> the icon size for a particular directory, while still having a global
> setting for e.g. "show hidden files".

I'll keep thinking.  :-)

Mark