List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: measuring KDE memory usage
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2001-02-28 17:16:26

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Bo Thorsen wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Tamas Szanto wrote:
>
> > What kind of tool could you recommend for reporting KDE memory
> > usage as precisely as possible? Top and its variants always show the
> > amount of code+data together with the used shared memory, e.g. kwrite,
> > (its file size is around 14 KB) has a full memory footprint of > 6 MB.
> >
> > Could anyone give me a rough estimate on the amount of physical memory used
> > by a fresh X 4.02 + KDE 2.1 install (after loading the desktop, without any
> > apps)?
> > My wild guess is that KDE is consuming in the 10-15 MB range plus X
> > allocates
> > around 10 MB.
>
> Use top. Size - share gives you a good approximation.

I'd say rss - share for each app, and add some 4-8MB to the total (you
have to account for the libs once ;-)

Even harder is to measure X's usage of ram, since usually it gives a huge
number because it maps the buffer into memory.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis. (Carlton, De rerum comoedia)