List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Advice needed: Data bases and KOffice integration for   literature
From:       Roberto Alsina <ralsina () conectiva ! com ! ar>
Date:       2001-02-28 0:07:08

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Shawn Gordon wrote:

> At 03:46 PM 2/27/2001, you wrote:
> >On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Pascal A. Niklaus wrote:
> >
> > > 1) Data base to use:
> > > The literature records should be stored in a data base rather that in a
> > > plain text file as for example BiBTeX does. What data base should I use? I
> > > think the application should deal with typically a few thousand to ten
> > > thousands of records (each consisting of authors, publication years,
> > > abstract, keywords etc...), and allow full text searches. Is there a data
> > > base which is easy to integrate into C++ programs, or some object for
> > > interfacing with a suitable external data base?
> >
> >Depending on how you want to do it, Gigabase *is* easy to integrate in any
> >C++ program, and doesn't make your program require stuff like MySQL be
> >configured and running.
> >
> >You can find more about it
> >here: http://www.ispras.ru/~knizhnik/gigabase.html
> >
> >On the other hand, you *could* use kdb. That should make your program
> >database independent eventually, exceot that it will require SOME SQL
> >database to be running.
>
> Actually kdb, now kde-db, can use whatever there is a plug in for.  We are
> almost done with an XBase one, and someone was even working on a flat file
> one at some point.  There isn't a plug in for Gigabase that I'm aware of,
> but it would probably be a good one to add if anyone is interested.

The main problem is that Gigabase is not SQL, so I am not sure how well it
maps into kde-db [1]

There is a SQL thingie that uses gdbm as storage. As long as everything is
GPL-compatible, it could be a nice thing to create a plugin for (no need
to reinvent the flat-file version[2] :-)

http://freshmeat.net/projects/sqlite/

[1] Keeping my terminology up-to-date :-)
[2] Unless of course this *is* what's being used :-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis. (Carlton, De rerum comoedia)