List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Advice needed: Data bases and KOffice integration for
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-02-27 23:57:40

At 03:46 PM 2/27/2001, you wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Pascal A. Niklaus wrote:
>
> > 1) Data base to use:
> > The literature records should be stored in a data base rather that in a
> > plain text file as for example BiBTeX does. What data base should I use? I
> > think the application should deal with typically a few thousand to ten
> > thousands of records (each consisting of authors, publication years,
> > abstract, keywords etc...), and allow full text searches. Is there a data
> > base which is easy to integrate into C++ programs, or some object for
> > interfacing with a suitable external data base?
>
>Depending on how you want to do it, Gigabase *is* easy to integrate in any
>C++ program, and doesn't make your program require stuff like MySQL be
>configured and running.
>
>You can find more about it
>here: http://www.ispras.ru/~knizhnik/gigabase.html
>
>On the other hand, you *could* use kdb. That should make your program
>database independent eventually, exceot that it will require SOME SQL
>database to be running.

Actually kdb, now kde-db, can use whatever there is a plug in for.  We are
almost done with an XBase one, and someone was even working on a flat file
one at some point.  There isn't a plug in for Gigabase that I'm aware of,
but it would probably be a good one to add if anyone is interested.

>No idea about 2)

You could actually use VeePee in conjunction with KDE-DB to put a script
into KWord to do this type of work.  This is something that we want to get
to eventually, but haven't had time to do yet, but all the pieces are
there.  Adding VeePee support to KWord shouldn't be a dramatic task.

>  ("\''/").__..-''"`-. .         Roberto Alsina
>  `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@conectiva.com.ar
>  (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Director técnico
>   _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Conectiva SA
>(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
>                                 KDE Developer (MFCH)
>Futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis. (Carlton, De rerum comoedia)

> unsubscribe <<

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President