List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Could Kant replace or extend KWrite in KDE ?
From:       Cullmann Christoph <crossfire () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2001-02-25 10:10:22

Am Sonntag, 25. Februar 2001 02:48 schrieb Waldo Bastian:
> On Saturday 24 February 2001 08:28, Cullmann Christoph wrote:
> > Kant links dynamic to kwritepart and konsolepart. This must be considered
> > if you want to put Kant into kde cvs.
> >
> > I hope you all like Kant, I think it would be a nice replacement for
> > KWrite.
>
> The criteria for an application to be put in kde cvs is that kde cvs is
> where the development is being done and that the application is being
> actively maintained. I assume that Kant meets these criteria, so I think
> there is no problem putting Kant into kde cvs.
Great.

> The next question is then always "where?". Since kedit lives in kdeutils I
> suggest to put Kant there as well if it is acceptable that kdeutils depends
> on kdebase (for kwritepart and konsolepart).
Right, kdeutils would be the best place :)
Now only one problem, Kant needs both kwrite and konsole headers. Would it be
possible to install them with kdebase into the kde-includedir ? Shipping
copys of headers which are in kdebase in kdeutils wouldn't be such a good
idea in my eyes.

> Another questions is whether kwrite 'the application' should be dropped. I
> don't see a need for this at this point in time. There is no particular
> reason why we shouldn't ship both kwrite and kant (and kedit and kvim and
> ....). By the time we are up for the next release it is early enough to
> decide whether we should leave certain applications out.
Yes, kwrite should stay, the user must have multiple editors to choose !
(I will maintain old kwrite if no one else wants to do it, too)

> Cheers,
> Waldo

cu and thx
Christoph