List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Could Kant replace or extend KWrite in KDE ?
From:       Thorsten Schnebeck <thorsten.schnebeck () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-02-24 19:07:13

Cullmann Christoph wrote:

> Hi,
> I am the projectmanager of Kant, a MDI texteditor which uses the KWrite
> widget for displaying text (no MDI like you know it from windows, MDI like
> you know it from Emacs or Konqueror :).

<snip>
> nice screenshot of Kant:
>     http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=1590

Hi Christoph!

... hmm ... maybe I should first compile Kant, so now I argue about a
screenshot ;-)
(Few) little questions: What is the intension of this user interface?
Why do you have an embedded terminal? In konqi you have a kind of
path-following, so there a embedded terminal is valuable - but where is
such a value in kants user interface? What is the value of multiple files
_in_ kants workspace? Do you have synched scrollbars like in Cervisia or
multi-viewing (here top, there end of the same doc)?

I know it is easy to integrate feature with KDE/QT libraries - but we are
going in a wrong direction: programs with more and more nifty features. Do
you remember: MS-Word has an buildin graphic editor, an Exel-lite
spreadsheet and so on. Do you like this? I call this bloadware!

Programmers are often bad gui-designers. (No - emacs is also not an example
for good gui-design ;-) but its more a developer tool than an enduser
application) And this is the reason for the KDE developer style guide
webpage!

How do you use an editor? Konqi->(right click) Open in... Kant. And if I do
this twice do I have a secound instance of kant or another MDI-window? Can
I put an MDI-window back to the desktop (tear-off function)?

If I take a second view of this screenshot kant looks like a rudimentary
IDE not like a texteditor ... nor a replacement for kwrite.

Of course most of this programming is fun and this is good. So don't rely
on my humble opinion ;-)

greetings

  Thor"MDI-DON QUICHOTTE"sten