List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kconfigure/kdevelop the big picture
From:       Olaf Marc Zanger <olaf.zanger () soli-con ! com>
Date:       2001-02-14 7:21:03

hi there, hi javier,

this is a great improovement to newbies entering the compile area.

with my kde-user point of view (web developer) i hope to help development
with some ideas.

the big picture of
* development
the goal for kdevelop should be to generate complete tar.gz files for
distribution
then it should allow one-click upload to http://apps.kde.com (the community
might get a wonderfull patent on that one.
since in a future kdevelop the cvs is integrated it also uploads the
description and changelog files automatically

* marketing
apps.kde.org is the mediator and marketplace. it might sniff on the harddisk
and check what (security-, bug-) relevant newer versions are available.

* transfer
the user downloads them. this step might already be available in kconfigure.
it might setup a specific folder in the ~/.kde for storage.

* unpack
kconfigure might have a first entry to select a tar.bzip2 or tar.gz file. it
unpack them and stores them in another of its standard directories.

* configuration
configuration with arguments: i use allways the same
--prefix=/opt/kde2 --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt2
and i assume they are special to SuSE, so kconfigure should allow them to be
set in the configuration area. probably it even lets me select the
distribution SuSE, Mandrake, RedHat, Caldera, ... and checks the parameters
with an locate.

* compilation
great and easy solution just to filter the warnings and errors.

* installation.
some mighty user probably is not the superuser/root on the machine but still
wants to have this great new kde app.
so why not install it locally (is this possible anyhow?).

* success
what about telling the user when each step (unpack, config, make, make
install) is ready and successful -- the newbee really adores to get feedback,
best if positive :-)
right now it is only to find out by the harddisk not working anymore or the
"leaving" statements

" logging
one more special directory to add a log for unpack, configure, make, make
install

* test
now that everything is done it should tell me how the new application is
called,
in which kde-menu i can find and
that with a simple mouseclick i can start it for a testdrive.

well guys,

you do great development and we help you in the newbee view :-)

anyway great coding

olaf

--
soli-con Engineering Zanger, Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Olaf Marc Zanger
Lorrainestrasse 23, 3013 Bern / Switzerland