List:       kde-devel
Subject:    saving your .kde
From:       Hetz Ben Hamo <hetz () il ! linuxqa ! com>
Date:       2001-02-15 15:12:04

Hi All,

I have an idea which I've been thinking about it for the last several days. I
have bought this idea to the #kde channel and people seems to like it - so here
I am, throwing the idea to you, and I hope to hear some suggestions from people.
I suck at coding, so I cannot make it unfortunately :(

The idea came after I installed Windows Millenium (ME), and there is a feature
there to record your registry once in a while, and then be able to restore it
back in case of your registry has been damaged etc... ofcourse, with Windows ME,
it happends a lot :)

Now - one of the things that are very easy - is to "damage" the local kde
configuration directory (.kde) - few adjustments to fonts, colours, dialog boxes
etc - and soon you'll hear the end user scream "how can I revert it back!"..

Of course - the most simple way is to simply erase the .kde and then restart kde
- but by this you will loose all your desktop settings, as well as applications
settings. not such a good idea.

The Windows ME way is to save the registry after 24 hours of use (if I'm not
mistaken). Ofcourse - this leaves a huge gap if you installed an application
today, and something else was damaged (not related to the last application
install) and you want to restore your last settings - then you'll loose the
application you install (since it's not written in the registry)..

So, my idea was simple - how about adding a "session save" which will saved once
in X hours/days/weeks a compressed snapshot of .kde.

I did here a small test: tar -Icf test.tar.bz2 .kde - and the file I got is
1.8MB which includes the konqueror cache (which I don't think we need to save),
so we're talking about a small files basically.

The idea is not to just save and restore like Windows ME does - but to take it a
step further, and let the user/admin to restore selective parts (example - font
settings, kmail rules, knode settings, konq. user agent settings etc...). This
should be done through a simple GUI.

Thoughts?

--
Hetz Ben Hamo